CVE-2017-8046: RCE in PATCH requests in Spring Data REST
Spring by Pivotal
Malicious PATCH requests submitted to servers using Spring Data REST backed HTTP resources can use specially crafted JSON data to run arbitrary Java code.
Severity is critical unless otherwise noted.
- Spring Data REST versions prior to 2.6.9 (Ingalls SR9), 3.0.1 (Kay SR1)
- Spring Boot (if Spring Data REST module is used) versions prior to 1.5.9, 2.0 M6
Users of affected versions should apply the following mitigation:
- Releases that have fixed this issue include:
- Spring Data REST 2.6.9 (Ingalls SR9, Oct. 27th, 2017)
- Spring Data REST 3.0.1 (Kay SR1, Oct. 27th 2017)
- Spring Boot 1.5.9 (Oct, 28th 2017)
- Spring Boot 2.0 M6 (Nov. 6th 2017)
This vulnerability was responsibly reported by Man Yue Mo from Semmle and lgtm.com.
2017-09-21: Initial vulnerability report published
2018-03-06: Corrected affected and fixed versions