Pivotal Dev is a small footprint distribution of Tanzu Application Service intended to be run locally on a developer machine. It delivers the essential elements of the TAS experience quickly through a condensed set of components.
Pivotal Dev is ideally suited to developers wanting to explore or evaluate TAS, or those already actively building cloud-native applications to be run on TAS. Working with Pivotal Dev, developers can experience the power of TAS - from the accelerated development cycles enabled by consistent, structured builds to the operational excellence unlocked through integrated logging, metrics and health monitoring and management.
With Pivotal Dev, developers can quickly and easily gain expertise with TAS and gain an intimate understanding of the platform.
- Use a variety of development languages and runtimes, including Java, Ruby, PHP or Python
- Quickly build complete applications by binding to a collection of developer services or external, user provided services
- Push Docker images or directly push code
- The platform handles the complexity of compilation, staging, deployment, routing and container scheduling
- Simple, horizontal application instance scaling
- Built in logging and metrics
- Robust security constructs and role based access
- Automated health monitoring and failure recovery
Pivotal Dev provides the core functionality that allows developers to iterate locally to build and test their applications with the assurance that they will run unchanged on most default TAS configurations.
With Pivotal Dev deployed locally on their laptops, developers can work on the go without requiring network connectivity or access to a full TAS deployment. The dedicated local deployment gives them the flexibility to update their TAS instance at their convenience, as well as restart with a clean slate at any time. Pivotal Dev also includes the same web-based application manager as TAS and PWS.
Pivotal Dev is available for free for development purposes and as a tool to evaluate TAS. Pivotal Dev retrieves a 4 GB virtual appliance that installs as a 20 GB virtual image. Pivotal Dev demands significant system resources in order to perform similarly to TAS. Please ensure that your system has at least 8 GB of system memory (16 GB recommended).
You can also access the open source components of Pivotal Dev and interact with the Pivotal Dev team using Github issues here.
Updates to Pivotal Dev will be regularly available from Network. Note: Pivotal Dev does not currently support updates that preserve user applications and state.