USN-2751-1 Linux Kernel (Vivid HWE) Vulnerability
Medium to Low
- Canonical Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
Several security issues were fixed in the kernel.
Benjamin Randazzo discovered an information leak in the md (multiple device) driver when the bitmap_info.file is disabled. A local privileged attacker could use this to obtain sensitive information from the kernel. (CVE-2015-5697)
Marc-André Lureau discovered that the vhost driver did not properly release the userspace provided log file descriptor. A privileged attacker could use this to cause a denial of service (resource exhaustion). (CVE-2015-6252)
Affected VMware Products and Versions
Severity is medium unless otherwise noted.
- BOSH: All versions of Cloud Foundry BOSH stemcells prior to v3094 are vulnerable to the aforementioned CVE.
- Products in the PCF Suite which reference BOSH stemcell v3093 or earlier are vulnerable to the aforementioned CVE:
- Ops Manager v1.5.6 or earlier
- Elastic Runtime v1.5.5 or earlier
- MySQL for Pivotal Cloud Foundry v1.6.2 or earlier
- Session State Caching Powered by Pivotal GemFire v1.0.2 or earlier
- RabbitMQ for Pivotal Cloud Foundry v1.4.4 or earlier
- Redis for Pivotal Cloud Foundry v1.4.8 or earlier
Users of affected versions should apply the following mitigation:
- The Cloud Foundry project recommends that Cloud Foundry Deployments using BOSH stemcell v3093 or earlier upgrade to v3094 or later, which contain the patched versions of the Linux kernel to resolve the aforementioned CVE.
- Pivotal recommends customers upgrade to the following releases in the PCF Suite:
Benjamin Randazzo and Marc-André Lureau