Additional information exposure with Spring Data JPA example matcher
Spring by Pivotal
This affects Spring Data JPA in versions up to and including 2.1.6, 2.0.14 and 1.11.20. Using ExampleMatcher.StringMatcher.STARTING, ExampleMatcher.StringMatcher.ENDING or ExampleMatcher.StringMatcher.CONTAINING could return more results than anticipated when a maliciously crafted example value is supplied.
Affected VMware Products and Versions
Severity is low unless otherwise noted.
- Spring Data JPA 2.1 to 2.1.7
- Spring Data JPA 2.0 to 2.0.14
- Spring Data JPA 1.11 to 1.11.21
- Older unsupported versions are also affected
Users of affected versions should apply the following mitigation:
- 2.1.x users should upgrade to 2.1.8 (included in Spring Boot 2.1.5)
- 2.0.x users should upgrade to 2.1.8 (included in Spring Boot 2.1.5)
- 1.11.x users should upgrade to 1.11.22 (included in Spring Boot 1.5.20)
- Older versions should upgrade to a supported branch
- There are no other mitigation steps necessary. Note, that with the current releases, the 2.0 branch of both Spring Data and Spring Boot is EOL and we highly recommend to upgrade
This issue was identified and responsibly reported by Thaveethu Vignesh