CVE-2016-9878 Directory Traversal in the Spring Framework ResourceServlet
Spring by Pivotal
Paths provided to the ResourceServlet were not properly sanitized and as a result exposed to directory traversal attacks.
Affected VMware Products and Versions
Severity is low unless otherwise noted.
- Spring Framework 4.3.0 to 4.3.4
- Spring Framework 4.2.0 to 4.2.8
- Spring Framework 3.2.0 to 3.2.17
- Older unsupported versions are also affected
Users of affected versions should apply the following mitigation:
- 4.3.x users should upgrade to 4.3.5
- 4.2.x users should upgrade to 4.2.9
- 3.2.x users should upgrade to 3.2.18
Note that few applications are likely to use the
ResourceServlet. It has been generally superseded since version 3.0 (circa 2009) by the
ResourceHttpRequestHandler and related classes that have been in use by default and provide much more advanced capabilities, see “Serving Resources” in the reference documentation. The
ResourceServlet is now deprecated in 3.2.x and 4.x and is removed altogether starting with version 5.
The issue was identified by Shumpei Asahara & Yuji Ito from NTT DATA Corporation and responsibly reported to Pivotal.
- Commit in 4.3.x branch
- Commit in 4.2.x branch
- Commit in 3.2.s branch
2016-12-21: Initial vulnerability report published