CVE-2017-8039: Data Binding Expression Vulnerability in Spring Web Flow
Spring by Pivotal
This CVE addresses a second path to exploiting the same vulnerability as the one described under CVE-2017-4971.
Applications that do not change the value of the
MvcViewFactoryCreator useSpringBinding property which is disabled by default (i.e. set to
“false”) can be vulnerable to malicious EL expressions in view states that process form submissions but do not have a
Affected VMware Products and Versions
Severity is medium unless otherwise noted.
- Spring Web Flow 2.4.0 to 2.4.5
- Older unsupported versions are also affected
Users of affected versions should apply the following mitigation:
- 2.4.x users should upgrade to 2.4.6
Note that generally it is a good practice and recommended to always use explicit data binding declarations in view states in order to prevent form submissions from setting fields on the target object that should not be set.
Users of Spring Web Flow with JSF are not impacted by this report.
The issue was identified by security researcher he1renyagao.
- Issue tracker ticket SWF-1711.
- Commits df0eab and ed5e8c on master branch (2.4.6 release).
- Commits 084b4e on 2.5.x branch (2.5.RC1 release).
2017-09-15: Initial vulnerability report published