In this episode
Full notes: https://github.com/heptio/tgik/tree/master/episodes/051
- 00:00:00 - Technical difficulties. Mic broken. Chat not scrolling. Sorry!
- 00:04:17 - Welcome to TGIK and hello!
- 00:08:01 - Week in review: Kubernetes Steering Committee Elections
- 00:10:06 - Week in review: Chucks cool YAML tool - kubeyaml.com
- 00:11:40 - Week in review: Kubernetes 1.12 release Real Soon Now
- 00:12:21 - Week in review: Pulumi k8s support
- 00:15:30 - Week in review: Heptio Contour 0.6 and Heptio Ark 0.9.6
- 00:17:47 - Starting to look at Linkerd 2.0
- 00:21:13 - Installing the Linkerd CLI
- 00:25:28 - Cluster preflight validation
- 00:26:34 - linkerd install - yaml spelunking
- 00:41:39 - Discussion on running/aggregating prometheus
- 00:44:08 - Actually install linkerd
- 00:46:15 - linkerd dashboard
- 00:46:46 - Digression on "fabulous mode" using lolgopher
- 00:51:32 - linkerd top
- 00:52:24 - Installing demo app
- 00:56:38 - Digression around cardinality when monitoring
- 01:00:43 - Pointing tgik.io to emojivoto
- 01:02:11 - Injecting sidecar to emojivoto
- 01:03:55 - Watch it run with dashboard and CLI tools
- 01:07:30 - Digression around source IP vs. true source
- 01:15:11 - Starting to wrap up. Some comparison to Istio
- 01:17:10 - Trying to remove linkerd from example app
- 01:20:02 - Scaling out the demo app
- 01:22:21 - "The cats and the dogs and the rainbows are all fighting"
- 01:23:44 - Stream goes down because Kris overloads the Heptio network
Come hang out with Joe Beda as he does a bit of hands on exploration of Kubernetes and related topics. Some of this will be Joe talking about the things he knows well. Some of this will be Joe exploring something new with the audience. Ask questions, comment and help decide where things go.
Linkerd 2.0 just launched! I'll be looking at the announcement and work to get my hands dirt playing with it. I haven't used it in a while and there is a lot new so we'll all be learning together.