What is OpenShift?
OpenShift is a Kubernetes container platform for building and running cloud-native applications. It is an open-source project developed by Red Hat and is the basis for their commercially available solutions including, Red Hat Open Shift Container Platform, a hybrid-cloud platform, Red Hat OpenShift Online, a SaaS version, and Red Hat OpenShift Dedicated, a managed service.
While OpenShift helps standardize and simplify platform operations, complexity arises with the containerized microservices-based applications running on the platform. The dynamic and ephemeral nature of containers, matched with independent development teams pushing new code releases and updates, can make it difficult to identify the root cause of application and service health issues- Especially at scale.
Why Tanzu Observability for OpenShift
Tanzu Observability by Wavefront is a monitoring and analytics platform purpose-built to support the needs of enterprises running modern cloud platforms and applications like OpenShift. It provides full-stack visibility for OpenShift environments no matter where they are running - on premises, public cloud, or delivered as a managed service.
Automated Insights into OpenShift with the Certified Wavefront Operator
The Tanzu Observability by Wavefront Certified OpenShift 4.x Operator provides developers, OpenShift operators, and SREs automated visibility into OpenShift environments, including containerized applications, Kubernetes, and the underlying infrastructure. The Tanzu Observability platform:
- Automatically Recognizes Kubernetes services, discovers Kubernetes workloads, and instruments Java-based services across any cloud via the Wavefront Java Tracing Agent
- Provides 220+ out of the box integrations with persona-based dashboards that can be customized to meet your needs
- Delivers real-time streaming of health and SLO metrics for Kubernetes clusters, nodes, pods, namespaces, and containerized applications
The Tanzu Observability by Wavefront Certified OpenShift Operator is available on the Operator Hub website.
Fast and Accurate Monitoring of the OpenShift Platform and the Containerized Application Running at Scale
Tanzu Observability is purpose-built for high-cardinality metrics - up to 2,000,000 points per second. Using a unique indexing strategy, patented functionality, and high-performance database, Tanzu Observability provides superior handling of metric metadata for short-lived container environments at scale. Benefits for developers and OpenShift operators include:
- Uninterrupted data ingestion during spinning up and spinning down hundreds of containers with new IDs
- Fast and correct troubleshooting without pre-aggregation or inline aggregation of container data
- Instant alerting using real-time metric queries for applications and infrastructure running across multiple clouds and at scale
Real-Time, End-To-End Troubleshooting and Correlation
Tanzu Observability enables developers and DevOps teams to alleviate code issues by understanding Kubernetes system metrics and instantly troubleshoot containers and application microservices. With Tanzu Observability’s full-stack observability and powerful analytics, you can:
- Correlate and quickly drill down across applications running on OpenShift, containers, Kubernetes, and your cloud or hybrid cloud
- Deep-dive into any incident using distributed tracing to trace transactions across distributed services and identifying the root cause in seconds
- Proactively alert on anomalies across containerized application environments with sophisticated performance analytics and trends prediction
“Before Wavefront, we would have no clue about what is going on. Now we can fix software bugs and validate that the changes had exactly the effects we intended.” - John Beatty Cofounder and CEO, Clover