There are more VMware Admins out there than Cloud/Platform Engineers... but with vSphere 7 with Kubernetes, that is likely to start to change. To give a taste for what is to come for vSphere admins out there, Dormain sat down with Neville George who himself made the transition from VMware administrator to Platform Engineer at Comcast. He shares what has stayed the same and what has changed, as well as what he has had to learn along the way. A must-listen for anyone managing VMware infrastructure today.
- Watch Neville present on 10 things learned with Cloud Foundry (Spoiler alert: goes WAAAAY beyond the tech... in a *very* good way).
- Neville mentioned learning Git (GitHub, BitBucket, GitLab, etc.) as one of the things he needed to learn on his journey from a vSphere admin to a platform engineer. Check out this how-to guide for getting started with Git from the perspective of automating a platform for developers. You can also hear from another platform engineer, Bryan Kelly at Cerner, on GitOps in his talk, The Continuous Platform.
- Download this report on why you should treat your platform as a product... what Neville described about the shift from only 20% of his time with developers to 80% of his time with development teams is in line with this mindset shift.
- Read this Gartner report on Best Practices to Enable Continuous Delivery with Containers and DevOps.
- Share this episode on Soundcloud
- Subscribe to the Tanzu Talk podcast (formerly known as "Pivotal Conversations") on iTunes.
- Send feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the AuthorFollow on Twitter Visit Website More Content by Dormain Drewitz