If you plan to simply reassign your SQL Server DBAs to a massively parallel processing (MPP) analytical database, you might want to think again. There are subtle but important differences between managing and administering a symmetric multi-processing, or SMP, database like SQL Server and an MPP analytical database like Pivotal Greenplum. While many enterprises choose to train their DBAs to master MPP database administration, others prefer to partner with an expert for the task. That’s why Pivotal is introducing Pivotal Data Operations Services, or Pivotal DOS.
Pivotal DOS is a managed service offering for Pivotal Greenplum and Pivotal HDB, the leading Hadoop native SQL database for analytics. In this episode of Pivotal Insights, host Jeff Kelly speaks with Jacque Istok, head of field engineering for Pivotal data, about the new service and the reasons behind its creation. Among them? Pivotal DOS allows enterprises to leave the heavy lifting of administering and managing the database to Pivotal, and instead focus on analyzing data and operationalizing insights. Listen for more details on the service, including how Pivotal DOS benefits enterprises, and best practices for getting started with MPP analytics.
- Visit http://pivotal.io/podcasts for show notes and other episodes.
- Download the episode and check us out on SoundCloud, subscribe to the feed directly, or on iTunes to have it automatically downloaded for you.
- Twitter: @jeffreyfkelly and @jstok
- Feedback: email@example.com
News and Resources
- Pivotal Greenplum: The World’s Only Open Source MPP Data Warehouse
- Pivotal HDB: The Leading Hadoop Native SQL Database for Analytics
- Don’t Let Your Data Science Models Die A Lonely PowerPoint Death
- Greenplum Database Administrator Guide
About the AuthorFollow on Twitter Follow on Linkedin