VMware Application Catalog (formerly Tanzu Application Catalog) provides trusted, continuously maintained, and verifiably tested open source images, custom-built to enterprise specifications and privately delivered directly to a customer’s registry of choice.
The VMware Application Catalog team continuously strives to make the lives of developers and operators easier, by enabling them to focus on innovation without worrying about the laborious Day 0 tasks involved in building modern applications. To that end, VMware Application Catalog now offers out-of-the-box support to the managed container registry solution Amazon Elastic Container Registry (Amazon ECR), in addition to the already-supported Google Container Registry, Azure Container Registry, and Harbor.
With this update, VMware Application Catalog will now be easier to use for enterprises running their infrastructure in Amazon Web Services (AWS) as it enables two new critical use cases:
- Direct consumption of artifacts from an Amazon ECR registry.
- Building artifacts on top of a customer-owned golden base image hosted in an Amazon ECR registry.
Adding Amazon ECR to VMware Application Catalog
The process of adding Amazon ECR to VMware Application Catalog generally follows the same steps involved in adding any other registry:
- On the menu bar of VMware Application Catalog UI, click Configure and select Registries.
- On the Registries page that appears, click the Add Registry tile.
- In the Add Registry dialog, provide the following information and then click ADD.
- Registry URL
- Access key ID
- Secret access key
Note: The access key ID and secret access key should identify a principal with enough permissions to pull and push artifacts. More info is available on the Identity and Access Management for Amazon Elastic Container Registry page in the AWS documentation.
VMware Application Catalog will check that the registry can be accessed with the provided credentials before saving the registry. After successful validation, a message appears confirming that your request to add a new registry has been successfully submitted.
Adding an Amazon ECR to VMware Application Catalog (Modal window filled with sample details).
How to add a custom base image hosted in an Amazon ECR
Here are the steps to add a new custom base image hosted in an Amazon ECR.
- On the menu bar of the VMware Application Catalog UI, click Configure and select Base Images. The Base Images page will appear.
- On the Add New Image tile, click the ADD button.
- In the Add Custom Base Image dialog, complete the following instructions and then click the ADD button.
- Provide a name and description for the base image.
- Select the Amazon ECR that you have added to VMware Application Catalog.
- Enter the location or path to the base image in the chosen registry. For example, base-images/debian:buster or just debian:buster depending on the registry URL. If you don’t specify a version, VMware Application Catalog automatically considers the latest version.
- Select an operating system for the base image.
The base image you added appears under My Custom Base Images.
Adding a customer base image hosted in Amazon ECR to VMware Application Catalog
(Modal window filled with sample details).
Users can now use this custom base image hosted in Amazon ECR to build their customized enterprise catalog, which is quite beneficial for enterprises looking for strong adherence to their security and compliance standards.
Please check out VMware Application Catalog Documentation for more information.
Are you looking for a more in-depth look at VMware Application Catalog? Join our session at VMware Explore 2022 Europe at Fira de Barcelona Gran Via in Barcelona, Spain, and get answers to all of your VMware Application Catalog questions.