Hi, Spring fans! Welcome to yet another installment of This Month in Spring where we recap - with apologies to The Times - all the news that's fit to reprint in the Spring and Spring-adjacent ecosystems.
First: it's almost Halloween! Can you believe it? (I can't.) This year continues to absolutely fly by! I need to dust off my PHP costume for Halloween. Maybe I'll even start using this particularly ghastly VS Code theme on the day...
How've you all been? I've been busy. I've been working my butt off preparing a bunch of new stuff. First, I'm going to be live streaming more. Join me on Twitch (@JavaJoshLong). Are you on LinkedIn? If so, join me there, too (
I'm doing my level-headed best to make clearer all my activity. I just updated my blog - JoshLong.com. Yes, I know it looks like it was designed in a renegade zombie instance of Microsoft Frontpage and it could really use some work. (I'm workin' on it!) Anyway, I've updated the site to automatically announce more of my activity. So, if you want to know about any upcoming appearances, it'll be there. If you want to see my new Spring Tips (@SpringTipsLive) video installments, they'll be there. If you want to know about the new Bootiful Podcast (@BootifulPodcast) installments, those too shall be there! And if you want to know if I'm appearing somewhere near you or at a conference you're attending? Yah, that'll be there, too! That blog - however antiquated it may look (for the moment), is using cutting-edge RSS/ATOM technolog from the year 1999! And you can too. To paraphrase the technophilosopher LL Cool J: "don't call RSS' return a comeback, it's been here for years!"
This month's roundup also looks to be a fun one, so let's get to it!
- In this episode of A Bootiful Podcast, I talk to .NET ecosystem legend Layla (@@LaylaCodesIT)
- In this installment of Spring Tips, I look at the little-known, but oft-used Spring Plugin project
- I looked at the Spring GraphQL project in depth in this Spring Tips installment.
- Speaking of GraphQL, there was an interesting article up on InfoQ: PayPal Adopts GraphQL: Gains Increased Developer Productivity
- Also, also, speaking of, this book by Sourabh Sharma, titled Modern API Development with Spring and Spring Boot: Design highly scalable and maintainable APIs with REST, gRPC, GraphQL, and the reactive paradigm , looks interesting indeed
- Do you want to get a Tanzu Kubernetes cluster up and running on your local machine? Now you can with Tanzu Community Edition. Check out this great tweet from Shaun McDonnell showing how easy it is!
- I will be speaking about creating edge services with GraphQL, reactive programming and Spring Cloud Gateway at Voxxed Days Romania on the 22/10/2021. I hope to see you there!
- I'll be speaking on the VMware Tanzu Twitch channel (twitch.tv/vmwaretanzu) tomorrow in a sort of grab bag installment of Spring Tips! Join me, bring your questions, and let's build some cool stuff.
- I was very sad to see Oleg leave the GraalVM team, but I'm thrilled to see him join the new company around TestContainers, AtomicJar
- A Bootiful Podcast: Heiko Scherrer on OpenWMS, Spring, Spring Boot, Spring Data, workflow with Activiti and more
- want to manage federations of Kubernetes clusters? Then this new
kindis for you! Introducing ClusterClass and Managed Topologies in Cluster API
- Codelab: Spring Cloud GCP with Cloud SQL
- What's the difference between Difference between
@GetMappingin Spring MVC?
- Want to join the Azure Spring Cloud Enterprise Tier (Private Preview)? Fill out this interest form.
- How to implement MongoDB using Spring Boot
- How to use
NamedQueryin Spring Framework
- Want to see Matt Raible and me as we make JHipster work with Spring Native and GraalVM? Check this video out!
- There are so many different Kubernetes dashboards out there. This one - Lens - also seems interesting!
- This is a neat Spring Boot, Swagger 3, and Spring Security Example
- Using Cloud Native Buildpacks to Address Security Requirements for the Software Supply Chain
- A cool post over on the Onurdesk blog: Video Streaming using Spring Webflux
- What is a Spring Data Repository interface?
- Using Yugabyte but want to use it in a managed fashion? Check out Yugabyte Cloud: A Managed Distributed SQL Database
- In this installment of Spring Tips, I look at "Bootiful Edge Services" with Spring GraphQL, Spring Cloud Gateway, and Reactive Programming.
- In this installment of a A Bootiful Podcast, I talk to Spring Data engineer Christoph Strobl on MongoDB, Redis, GraphQL and Spring Native
- JHipster Works with Spring Native (Kinda)! Matt Raible and I presented at the (virtual) San Francisco Java User Group (in person). The event was a lot of fun because Matt and I enjoy working together. The goal was to deliver a presentation on the (experimental!) Spring Native project which enables GraalVM builds for Spring Boot-based applications. But Matt wanted to make JHipster work! So we hacked. And hacked. And hacked. Finally we ended up with an application that worked with GraalVM, sans only the OpenAPI support. It was awesome. It's not as smooth as it could be, of course, but it's something. Check it out!
- Common Pitfalls When Testing Spring Boot Applications
- Enabling Next-Gen Experiences with the Lumen Platform
- Spring Cloud 2021.0.0-M2 (codename Jubilee) is Available.
- Spring Native in Action with the Okta Spring Boot Starter
- I just learned about JobRunr, a job scheduler that has a nice Spring Boot starter. You can use this job scheduler with all sorts of infrastructure thanks to its
StorageManagerabstraction. Could be good! This is an alternative, of course, to things like the Quartz integration in Spring and the
@Scheduledannotation in Spring.
- Did you try out the more recent release of the Spring Initializr yet?
- I like this more recent tutorial showing how to connect a Spring Boot application to DataStax Astra
- Spring Initializr 0.11.0 available now
- In this A Bootiful Podcast, I talked to Spring web legend Rossen Stoyanchev on RSocket, GraphQL and more
- Reassessing TestNG vs. Junit
- Spring Boot 2.4.11 available now
- Spring Boot 2.5.5 available now
- Spring Boot 2.6.0-M3 available now
- Spring Data JDBC - How do I make Bidirectional Relationships?
- Spring Native in Action with the Okta Spring Boot Starter
- TodoMVC with Spring Boot and Thymeleaf (Part 1) - Wim Deblauwe
- TodoMVC with Spring Boot and Thymeleaf (Part 2) - Wim Deblauwe
- TodoMVC with Spring Boot and Thymeleaf (Part 3) - Wim Deblauwe
- Neat article on InfoQ.com: VMware Overhauls Spring 6 & Spring Boot 3 for Another Decade
- Check this resource on the Spring Security Authorization Server:
- A Bootiful Podcast: Dr. Mark Pollack on Physics, Spring Cloud Data Flow, Spring Data, Spring.NET, Spring XD, and so much more
- Changing Spring Boot packaging to WAR and deploying to Tomcat and Jetty
- Discover Lenovo Innovation at VMworld: Smarter Technology for All
- How much faster is Java 17?
- In June, Okta's Matt Raible, Brian Demers and I did a Twitch stream to figure out how to make the Okta Spring Boot starter work with Spring Native. We succeeded! However, it wasn't easy. Watch our trials and tribulations in this video.
- Check out this massive commit kicking off the official Jakarta EE 9 migration within the Spring Framework codebase!
- Spring Data 2021.0.5 and 2020.0.13 released
- Spring Data 2021.1.0-M3 released
- Spring Framework 5.3.10 and 5.2.17 available now
- Spring Security 5.6.0-M3 released
- Spring Tips: A Bootiful Look at SpringOne 2021
- Spring Tools 4.12.0 released
- Vaadin Reaches Version 21
- What are the implications for our applications if we reduced (or halved) the Java object header size ?
- Oracle recently proposed a two year cadence (instead of three) for long term releases. Microsoft's Martijn Verburg's onboard with the new proposal. This bodes well! ](https://mail.openjdk.java.net/pi)
About the AuthorFollow on Twitter Visit Website More Content by Josh Long