VMware Tanzu Operations Manager is a software appliance designed to provide a much more pleasant and straightforward experience for platform operators who use BOSH, the infrastructure-as-code automation powerhouse. BOSH can provision and deploy software over hundreds of virtual machines, and it also performs monitoring, failure recovery, and software updates with zero-to-minimal downtime.
Here are the flagship features that are now available within Tanzu Operations Manager 3.0.
- Updated NATS version for BOSH – The existing version of NATS running on Tanzu Operations Manager was going to end-of-life and needed upgrading. Tanzu Operations Manager 3.0 now ships with NATS version 2.7, ensuring the appliance runs a supported version, and overall sees performance improvements with the new version.
- Improved applied runtime configuration visibility – Before Tanzu Operations Manager 3.0, platform operators could not see the current status of BOSH runtime configurations when they deployed new versions via “Apply Changes.”
- Google Cloud Platform machine type improvements – For increased performance and cost optimization, the Google Cloud Platform interface has been updated with the following:
- The E2 virtual machine series can now be used for deployments on the Google Cloud Platform.
- Machine types can be defined when creating a custom virtual machine type within Tanzu Operations Manager.
- Amazon Web Services (AWS) machine type improvements – For maximum performance and cost savings, the AWS interface has made the following updates:
- AWS machine types will now default to 5th Generation-based Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) instances for new installations.
- Tanzu Operations Manager will use Amazon Elastic Block Store (EBS) gp3 disk types as the default for new installations.
- Customers can upgrade to these instance types for existing installations for cost savings and performance benefits.
- Tanzu Operations Manager runs on Jammy Jellyfish – The base stemcell that runs Tanzu Operations Manager has been updated to Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish. This update is a critical step to ensure security compliance with the appliance.
- Deployment speed enhancements: Operators could see a reduction in BOSH deployment times due to rendering and compilation enhancements. Learn more about these speed enhancements here.
Want to learn more about VMware Tanzu Application Service and VMware Tanzu Operations Manager? Be sure to check out the Tanzu Tech Zone.
View the full details on the VMware Tanzu Application Service 3.0 release here.
About the AuthorMore Content by Nick Kuhn