Hi, Spring fans!
Can you believe it's nearly December 2021? I'm still getting used to the idea that we're already in 2021 and now the year's nearly behind us! Stop the world, I want off! Time's sure flying.
I've been keepin' busy - you know, the usual mix of podcasts, YouTube videos, blogs, conference talks, and so on.
This Thursday is Thanksgiving here in the US, where I live. it's a time during which we Americans try to be thankful for what we have. And me, personally? I've got a lot of things for which I am grateful, this week and always.
I am thankful for my family and friends. A person is the company they keep, and I am lucky to have excellent company in my life.
I am thankful for my health. Right now, pandemic be danged, I'm healthy and happy, something for which I am endlessly grateful because I know what it's like not to be healthy.
I am thankful for the fantastic Spring ecosystem. It's an endlessly replenishing fount of awesomeness. Have you tried the new Spring Native 0.11 preview support (now available on the Spring Initializr!)? It's amazing. My GraalVM native-image applications are about 30% faster in startup and take even less memory at runtime. It's amazing! It's trivial to get native images for of many kinds of workloads - Spring Integration, Spring Batch, Spring Data, Spring Security, Spring Webflux, JPA, RSocket, Spring Webflux, R2DBC, Spring Cloud, and so much more.
And we, dear community, are kind of like a big ol' virtual family. So I know I speak for the entire Spring team when I say that we are very, very, very thankful for you, too. Thank you.
And lastly, I am thankful for the new and novel. That's a massive part of the reason I put this roundup together every week. Idle hands are the devil's playthings, as they say. But, this community is so vibrant that there's always something fun to explore! And, on that note, let's get to this month's roundup...
- A Bootiful Podcast: Fellow Java Champion Kate Stanley on Kubernetes and Apache Kafka
- Hi, Spring fans! I hope you'll check out the recent talk I did, Bootiful Kotlin, at the Kotlin Hyderabad event
- Continuously Verify Your Startup Times, so You Won't Be Surprised Badly.
- Get to Know a Kubernetes Operator! I wrote this post as a sort of guided tour of some of my favorite operators for Kubernetes.
- The RSocket Routing Broker has been renamed to RSocket Broker. The new Github organization and projects are here. Maven coordinates and java packages have been updated. Updated samples are here.
- Spring AMQP (Spring for RabbitMQ) 2.4 is Now Available
- Spring Boot 2.4.13 available now
- Spring Boot 2.5.7 is now available
- Spring Boot 2.6 is now available
- Spring Cloud Netflix version 2.2.10.RELEASE is now available
- Spring HATEOAS 1.4 released
- Spring Tips: @Controllers: WebSockets
- Spring for Apache Kafka 2.8 is Now Available
- In last week's installment of A Bootiful Podcast, I talked to JMS and Messaging legend, HornetQ and Artemis co-founder, Clebert Suconic
- Not strictly speaking related to Spring, but the far-and-wide removal of Docker from production and local developer desktops is a trend I see gaining strength and it can't hurt to be well prepared for it. This blog - Dockershim removal is coming. Are you ready? - may help.
- I liked this post on Piotr's TechBlog post: Kafka Streams with Spring Cloud Stream
- R2DBC and Spring for Non-Blocking Database Access
- Release 1.8.0 · micrometer-metrics/micrometer
- Spring Cloud Stream with Apache Kafka and Rabbitmq binder | Spring Boot
- Spring Data 2021.0.7 and 2020.0.15 released
- Spring Data 2021.1.0 goes GA
- Spring Framework 5.3.13 available now
- Spring Tips: My Reactive Summit 2021 Day 2 Keynote with James Ward
- hantsy has been adding samples demonstrating reactive concepts to this repository since Spring Framework 5 development began. There are always new and interesting examples
- Join us, and some of our favorite software developers for the next installment of SpringOne Tour!
- Bootiful Podcast: Legend, Dutchess founder, Devoxx4Kids contributor, and fellow Java Champion Linda van der Pal
- Full Stack Java with React, Spring Boot, and JHipster
- Hello, Coherence — Bootiful Spring by Oracle's Gunnar Hillert, a legend.
- Check out the videos from the recent Reactive Summit. I was the emcee and the day two keynoter, along with my friend and Google's James Ward.
- Running Spring Boot Apps? Start Tracing with OpenTelemetry in Minutes!
- Spring Cloud 2021.0.0-RC1 (codename Jubilee) Has Been Released
- Spring Cloud Data Flow 2.8.4 and 2.9.1 Released
- Spring Cloud Gateway versions 2.2.10.RELEASE and 3.0.5 are now available
- Spring Tips: @Controllers: Give HTTP a REST
- The power of component scanning in Spring
- Update on EOL for Spring Security OAuth
- I'll be speaking at the upcoming YOW! Conferences. Join us!
- This is an interesting, optimized-for-certain-usecases alternative to
@MockBean: antoinemeyer/mock-in-bean: Surgically Inject Mockito Mock/Spy in Spring Beans
- Michael Coté thinks 2022 will be year of figuring out kubernetes for developers, "DevX" or whatever.
- Bootiful Podcast: Daniel Mikusa on Buildpacks, Paketo, UPX, Tilt, GraalVM Native Images, Docker Containers and more
- Want to run the most modern incarnation of what used to be ActiveMQ? On the cloud? Check out the ArtemisCloud Operator which lets you easily stand up an Artemis instance on Kubernetes.
- Cool! Check this out: Google announced Kotlin support for Google protocol buffers
- A nice tutorial: how to set the logging level with
application.propertiesin Spring Boot
- How to update an entity using Spring Data JPA?
- Spring GraphQL 1.0.0-M3 Released
- Spring Tips: @Controllers (pt. 1): the "C" in Model 2 MVC
- Spring Tools 4.12.1 released
- We're hiring! Join us: Staff-Software-Engineer - Cloud-Native-Runtimes--Streaming
- The new VMware Tanzu for developers hands-on lab is out!
- Join me for this year's YOW! Conference!
AppDynamics- 1 step to activate and monitor Spring Boot apps on Azure Spring Cloud
- One cool way to remove developer toil and improve security in Kubernetes, the VMWare Tanzu build service.
About the AuthorFollow on Twitter Visit Website More Content by Josh Long