Hi, Spring fans! Welcome to another fairly calm (and healthy, at least for us) month in Spring. I've been busy, even if I've been grounded for the last month. The last month's been crazy! First of all, I've been home the entire time since we last spoke. I suspect most of you reading this were also home since we last spoke, too. So at least there's that in common, right?
How are you, my friends? I'd love to hear from you! I hope you are all healthy and happy.
That doesn't mean that there was nothing to savor or celebrate! We celebrated not one but two different birthdays.
First, we celebrated the 16th birthday of Spring Framework 1.0 GA on the 24th of March, 2020. What a journey! And of course, the person who announced that that version, the amazing Thomas Risberg (@trisberg), is one of many people who were there then and are still here on the Spring team now. Spring's come a long way since then! Check out the blog itself. If you want to see the original blog in all of its early-2000s glory, it's here on the Internet Wayback machine.
Then, on the 1st of April, 2020, we celebrated the 6th birthday of Spring Boot 1.0 GA! Happy birthday my old friend!
Then, as if the month wasn't exciting enough, we got Java 14! This is totally worth a look. I even did a Spring Tips video introducing some of the new features.
I'll also be presenting at the AllTheTalks show on the 15th of April. That too should also generate a ton of money for the COVID19 crisis response.
In the meantime, if you've already finished all that good online content and waiting for the next online shows, then be sure to check out the content below. We've got another extra-meaty installment this month, so let's get to it!
- Did you see that in addition to supporting Docker container images in Spring Boot 2.3.x, it's also become even easier to generate GraalVM native images?
- In this installment of A Bootiful Podcast, I talked to Kubernetes co-creator Joe Beda - yes, that Joe Beda! Do not miss this!
- Spring Data for Apache Solr Discontinued
- Getting Started With RSocket: Spring Boot Channels
- Spring Boot 2.3.0.M4 available now
- Spring Security 5.3.1, 5.2.3, 5.1.9, 5.0.15, 4.2.15 Released
- In this Spring Tips, I look at manipulating the Cloud Foundry PaaS with the Spring Cloud Cloud Foundry Java Client Autoconfiguration
- Is anyone interested in Spring Cloud Config with Microprofile? Vote on this issue
- Check out this blog on the future of Spring Data for Solr: it's looking for maintenance by the community
- KSQL (which you can use with Apache Kafka) is now out of preview and ready for production! Learn about why they built it, the new web interface, and how Confluent Cloud KSQL synergistically integrates with other components of Confluent Cloud
- Spring Security: Authentication and Authorization In-Depth
- Srinivas Vasu has a nice post on how to use JHipster (which is powered by Spring Boot with KNative (powered by Kubernetes))
- Have you seen the VMWare KubeAcademy-one of the easiest ways to learn Kubernetes.
- This doesn't have to do with Spring, per se, but it's been top of mind for me of late as I've been moving (personal) code to Github Actions: comparing GitHub Actions and CircleCI for Testing Pull Request Changes
- Learn how to use the open-source Greenplum Database modernizes data warehouses
- Spring Data Neumann goes RC1
- Spring Boot for Apache Geode & Pivotal GemFire 1.2.6.RELEASE Available
@DynamicPropertySourcein Spring Framework 5.2.5 and Spring Boot 2.2.6
- In this episode of A Bootiful Podcast, I talk to Apache Groovy, Testcontainers, and Reactor committer Sergei Egorov
- Spring Boot 2.2.6 available now
- Liveness and Readiness Probes with Spring Boot
- Spring Data Moore SR6 available now
- In this installment of Spring Tips, I look at Spring Cloud Loadbalancer
- Microsoft's Julien Dubois has published a nice how-to article that covers all corners of a new Gradle plugin to deploy Spring-powered Azure Functions
- Rohit Kelapure has a nice post on how to [plan ahead for a sustainable architecture](
- Do not miss the much-requested second installment to Ryan Baxter's look at Spring on Kubernetes - register now!
- Inside the VMware Open Source Program Office
- I love this article introducing utility classes in the JDK
- This episode of #TGIK8s with Kubernetes co-creator and Tanzu's Joe Beda is definitely worth a listen. It looks at Cloud Events and Argo
- How to use Spring Data R2DBC with Azure Database for MySQL
- Good news from Spring Data lead Mark Paluch on Twitter: SpringData R2DBC now supports query derivation thanks to an amazing contribution by Роман Чигвинцев
- This is a cool Spring Boot Tutorial on Building Microservices Deployed to Google Cloud
- Here is how Eric Satterwhite turned PostgreSQL into a real time data hub with RabbitMQ and about 80 lines of SQL
- I love this episode of TGIR (Thank Goodness It's RabbitMQ!) on how to contribute to RabbitMQ
- The Spring Boot team snuck a new feature,
@DynamicPropertySource, into Spring Framework 5.2.5 (and therefore Spring Boot 2.2.6)
- We've added Mutation Testing integration to our @springcloud projects! Check this out...
- The new Kotlin 1.4-M1 release looks awesome
- This an interesting post by Igor Manushin on making routing in Spring even faster in English. Here, I am pretty sure, is the Russian version of the same article
- Did you know that Spring Boot 2.2.6 and 2.3.x (milestones) have #AllTestsGreenOnJDK14 ? Go to the Spring Initializr and you'll be able to try it all out right now!
- Also, did you see the spiffy new makeover for my second favorite place on the internet, after production, start.Spring.io?
- See Logging with Spring Boot at Elastic Community Events EMEA Virtual
- A very important update for all of our Spring Data MongoDB users: Annotation-based index creation is now turned OFF by default and needs to be enabled eg. when relying on
- An Introduction to Spring Projects
- Spring Framework 5.2.5 available now
- Spring Boot for Apache Geode & Pivotal GemFire 1.3.0.M3 Released
- Getting Started With RSocket: Spring Boot Request-Stream
- Spring Cloud Data Flow 2.5.0.M1 Released
- Spring Tools 4.6.0 released
- How cool is this? There's a new Secrets Manager integration in Spring Cloud Google Cloud Platform - check it out!
- Take a look at the new NetBeans features
- Check out Confluent's ksqlDB
- Learn how to do fully remote and distributed software with this expertise from Pivotal Labs
- I love this post on the lessons Confluent itself learned when building Confluent Cloud - worth a read!
- I love this - two of my favorite data-centric engineers - Thorben Janssen talks to Spring Data lead Mark Paluch
- You should try out KubeCF - a Cloud Foundry distribution for Kubernetes
- The 'Spring Live' show was an amazing show and we are so grateful for everyone who turned up! As promised, we donated $20,000 to charity as a result
- A great blog by Matt Raible over on the Okta Developer about Security Patterns for Microservice Architectures
- Community legend Eddú Meléndez has a great list of projects that are ideal for novice contributions
- I like this post: What is Spring Boot Autoconfigurations?
- Tanzu's very own Toshiaki Maki has a great post on using Azure Files with Cloud Foundry
- I love Redmonk's James Governors perspective on VMWare Tanzu
- I love the new features in the Microsoft Visual Studio Code for Java editor plugin
- It's here, it's finally here! Java 14! Finally, some good news!. I love this release.
- I even detailed some of its amazing new syntaxes and features in a dedicated Spring Tips video called "Spring Tips: Java 14 (or: Can Your Java Do This?)" that looks at some ways to use Java 14 and Spring together.
- You can use Java 14 with Spring Boot 2.3.0.M3, which is available now.
- The only thing is, I didn't have a great way to show using Java 14 records with Spring Data. I wish I had this experimental support: odrotbohm/spring-record-support: A Spring extension to make JDK 14's records work OOTB with Spring libraries. This is currently being developed by Spring team legend Oliver Drotbohm. Enjoy!
- In this episode of A Bootiful Podcast, I interview John Hawley on OSS at VMWare, Security, and more
- By the way, I hope you've all registered for the upcoming Spring Live that'll take place on both Thursday and Friday this week. It's a virtual, 24-hour long, interactive conference for you, Spring fans!
- Learn about how to fire-and-forget communication between microservices in this epic post by Ben Wilcock
- Spring Integration 5.3 Milestone 3 Available register-now-for-spring-live-an-interactive-virtual-24-hour-long-conference-for-you-spring-fans)
- Spring Data Neumann M4 released
- Spring Cloud Data Flow 2.4.2 GA Released
- There are some nice tips on how to improve replication flows in your Apache Kafka deployments
- SDtimes has a nice roundup of some of the new features in Java 14
- Daily Code Buffer - YouTube
- Want to use Spring Data with Java 14's experimental record support? Try out this new (experimental) support!
- Are you registered and ready for the upcoming Spring Live event? It's happening on March 19th, the Spring equinox, it's a free, 24+ hour-long, interactive community-driven event, and we have a ton of exciting stuff on the agenda! Do NOT miss this!
- Spring Data CosmosDB 2.2.2 is now available!
- This isn't Spring-specific, per se, but it's a nice look at how to do remote work and leadership during the coronavirus pandemic - useful!
- Did you know that for every #SpringLive attendee, VMware Tanzu will make a donation to the @funds4disaster (COVID-19 Response Fund)? Register today and join us this Thursday:
- I really liked this video on how to build a Coronavirus tracker with Spring Boot - great watch and great information
- A great talk over on InfoQ about going from 0-100 in 60 Minutes with Spring Data JPA
- Spring Tools 4: Bootiful Spring Tooling for Desktop and Cloud
- Multiline String literals with Java Text Blocks - Vlad Mihalcea
- Handling Passwords with Spring Boot and Spring Security
- RabbitMQ » Blog Archive » This Month in RabbitMQ, February 2020 Recap - Messaging that just works
- Port of the Laravel Intermediate Task List tutorial to Spring Boot with Thymeleaf - Wim Deblauwe
- Spring Boot for Apache Geode & Pivotal GemFire 1.1.6.RELEASE & 1.2.5.RELEASE available!
- Spring Session for Apache Geode & Pivotal GemFire 2.1.9.RELEASE, 2.2.3.RELEASE and 2.3.0.RC1 available!
- Getting Started With RSocket: Spring Boot Client
- A Bootiful Podcast: Spring I/O organizer and Spring trainer extraordinaire Sergi Almar
- Spring Cloud Hoxton Service Release 3 (SR3) is available.
- Spring Security 5.3 goes GA
- Spring Session Dragonfruit-RC1, Corn-SR2 and Bean-SR10 Released
- In this installment of Spring Tips, I look at Kotlin and Spring Security
- Retrieve User Information in Spring Security | Codementor
- Have you seen the new Spring Cloud Circuitbreaker guide?
- Why is spring Mac the best framework for building HTTP APIs?
- Tony Vetter has published an excellent guide on using the Spring Cloud Gateway
- Good news! There's now a MariaDB R2DBC driver
- There's a new version of Test Containers - enjoy!
- Check out this great listing of some of the premiere integrations for Spring users in Microsoft Azure
- UUID based Value Objects with Spring Boot REST API - Wim Deblauwe
- Using Tailwind CSS with Spring Boot and Thymeleaf - Wim Deblauwe
About the AuthorFollow on Twitter Visit Website More Content by Josh Long