Hi Spring fans! What a month it's been since we last spoke! I've been trying to keep busy. I always try to keep busy. My new book, Reactive Spring (on Twitter as @ReactiveSpring) is now available for early-access reading on Leanpub! That's a big deal for me, anyway. It's not done yet, but you can already read it in ePub, Kindle, Mobi, and PDF files. It'll be available as a print-on-demand thing later. If you buy the book on Leanpub now at the cheaper price, you're entitled to the updates and finished product even as the book evolves and thickens out. This also provides a natural way for us to stay in touch: I want and value your feedback in developing the book!
In the last few weeks I've spoken at a few shows. I started in New York City at the Kafka Summit, then went east (and really far south!) to Capetown, and Johannesburg, South Africa for the SpringOne Tour events in South Africa. I went to Mauritius, an absolutely gorgeous little island nation in the Indian ocean for the Mauritius Developer Conference event there. I then went north and east to the epic ITKonect conference in Belgrade, Serbia. I then went even further east, to Shanghai, China, for meetings, and then to the Alibaba R&D Summit in Hangzhou, China. Then I continued east, this time returning to Los Angeles, California for the epic Coachella festival with my family. (The 13 year old loved it, so it was worth it.) THEN, it was off to Istanbul, Turkey for the SpringOne Tour event in Istanbul, and now - as I write this - I'm in what was, yesterday at least, the picture perfect and beautiful Chicago, Illinois. It's raining sideways today, though! That's fine. All the more reason to stay inside and talk to people who can teach me stuff! I'm here for the epic GOTO Chicago conference and customer visits. I love Chicago as its one of the major customer centers for Pivotal. Tons of really amazing organizations doing financial services and other types of demanding applications here. Not to mention, Intelligentsia Coffee is my jam.
All the while, I've been busy recording Spring Tips screencast installments (on Twitter as @SpringTipsLive). I wasn't really planning on doing these Spring Tips installments! There's just way too much cool stuff - I couldn't help it! Not to mention I didn't want to get behind otherwise I'd never catch up! I've done Spring Tips installments introducing the new WebMvc.fn programming model in Spring MVC, the new RSocket
@Controller component model in Spring Framework 5.2.x and Spring Boot 2.2.x, and the new Spring Cloud Circuit Breaker project.
I've also been busy that little podcast of mine, A Bootiful Podcast (on Twitter as @BootifulPodcast), which is avaible on iTunes and Google Play, among other syndication channels. I got to talk to Spring Cloud Task and Spring Batch lead Michael Minella, Pivotal Field CTO Matt Stine, Rabobank's Roy Braam, and Microsoft's Kylie Liang and Theresa Nguyen. The podcast is still new so I can't tell you all how happy I am that people are subscribing and listening. If you like it, please leave a nice rating and/or review on iTunes or Google Play. It really helps to improve our circulation.
That's been my month. I've been trying to keep busy, but the community - as usual - is waaaay ahead of me! There's been tons of stuff so let's get to it!
- Preview releases of Spring Cloud Alibaba are available: 0.9.0, 0.2.2, and 0.1.2
- In this installment of A Bootiful Podcast], I interview Pivotal Field CTO and OG Cloud Native Matt Stine on Architecture
- Spring Cloud Data Flow 2.1.0.M1 released
- Spring Tools 4.2.1 released
- CVE-2019-3799: Spring Cloud Config 2.1.2, 2.0.4, 1.4.6 Released
- Spring Cloud Task 2.2.0.M1 is now available
- Flight of the Flux 2 - Debugging Caveats
- Introducing Spring Cloud Circuit Breaker
- Spring Security 5.2.0.M2 Released
- Spring Boot 2.2 M2
- CVE-2019-3801: Java Projects using HTTP to fetch dependencies
- Spring Boot FreeMarker Configuration Example | Examples Java Code Geeks - 2019
- In this installment of Spring Tips I look at the just-released-on-
mastersupport for RSocket Messaging in Spring Boot 2.2. It's here! It's finally here! I was so excited to see this land and I hope you get a chance to try it out.
- Spring Session for Apache Geode & Pivotal GemFire 2.2.0.M1 Available
- Spring Session for Apache Geode & Pivotal GemFire 2.0.9.RELEASE & 2.1.3.RELEASE Available
- Check out this post looking at the future of Kotlin and Spring, Going Reactive with Spring, Coroutines and Kotlin Flow
- In this installment of A Bootiful Podcast I interviewed Rabobank's Roy Braam on building an agile bank
- Spring Data Moore M3 released
- Spring Integration SMB 1.1 GA Available
- Spring Framework 5.2.0.M1 available now
- Spring Data Lovelace SR6, Kay SR14, Ingalls SR20 Released
- Spring Cloud Data Flow 2.0.2 GA Released
- Yet another great post on the Okta blog, Upgrading Spring Security OAuth and JUnit Tests through the 👀 of a Java Hipster
- This is kind of interesting. It's a blog that demonstrates how to create a simple Kotlin SpringBoot dApp utilizing web3j
- Happy birthday to the Spring Boot Chaos Monkey!
- In this installment of A Bootiful Podcast I spoke Microsoft's Kylie Liang and Theresa Nguyen on MIcrosoft's Java and Spring Support. This was a really interesting discussion for me. Azure is getting better and better and even though I try there's something about which I'm unaware. I'm grateful Kylie and Theresa were able to sit down and educate me.
- In yet another unplanned installment of Spring Tips, I debut WebMvc.fn - the functional DSL for Spring MVC. Trust me, you'll want to see this!
- Spring IO Platform Cairo-SR8
- Spring IO Platform Brussels-SR17
- Spring Boot 2.1.4 released
- Spring Boot 2.0.9 Released
- Spring Boot 1.5.20 available now
- Spring Security 5.1.5, 5.0.12, 4.2.12 Released
- CVE-2019-3795: Spring Security 4.2.12, 5.0.12, 5.1.5 Released
- I really enjoyed this comparison of Alibaba's Sentinel vs. Netflix's Hystrix
- This tweet [is everything to me!(https://twitter.com/springcentral/status/1115162821258559488) - congratulations Sara Torrey! :-)
- This was an intersting interview on Spring Data JDBC with Jens Schauder on the Spring Data team
- Cloud Native Buildpacks Hit Beta
- It's pretty cool that on April 1, 2019, Spring Boot turned five years! Congrats Spring Boot! Here's to many more happy, bootiful returns!
- Check out Richard Seroter's post looking at the Spring Cloud Stream binder for Azure Event Hubs
- Spring Framework 5.1.6, 5.0.13 and 4.3.23 available now
- Spring Tools 4.2.0 released
- In this installment of A Bootiful Podcast (@BootifulPodcast) I talked to Josh Mckenty about data sovereignty, microservices, Cloud Foundry, Python, the cloud, Pivotal, and more
- If you get one blog to read, read this one on the Reactor Debugging Experience. It's amazing!
- Spring Tool Suite 3.9.8 released
- Want to know what makes Pivotal Cloud Foundry the best place to run Spring Boot applications?
- Interesting post: Focus on Integration Tests Instead of Mock-Based Tests
- A gentle reminder that you should be upgrading to Spring Framework 5.1.x as soon as possible
- Sara Torrey diagrammed her notes introducing Spring Boot and they're really cool!
- Check out Pivotal's Ben Hale on the state of Reactive Programming in the enterprise, RSocket and R2DBC on the latest OffHeap podcast episode
- Missed this white-hot Spring Tip introducing ways to make Spring Boot lazy and fast? Now's the time to watch! It's not even ten minute's long!
About the AuthorFollow on Twitter Visit Website More Content by Josh Long