NASCIO and VMware conducted a study during 2022 on the topic of state government application modernization. This study included an online survey and detailed individual interviews of state and territorial CIOs.
The report presents findings from this research, key recommendations and a playbook for moving forward with application modernization.
The most significant takeaway from the study is that states still have a long way to go for achieving application modernization.
- 48 % of respondents indicated that a majority of their applications need modernization.
- 55 % of the states are not participating in a periodic review of their application modernization efforts.
- 69 % of respondents have or are considering a documented and active application modernization strategy.
- 31 % of respondents do not have a documented application modernization strategy.
- 41 % of respondents stated that application modernization is managed at the enterprise level.
- 45 % of respondents stated that modernization efforts are handled as individual initiatives by each government agency.
- 14 % are managed neither as enterprise-wide nor on an individual basis.