USN-3785-1: ImageMagick vulnerabilities
- Canonical Ubuntu 14.04
- Canonical Ubuntu 18.04
Due to a large number of issues discovered in GhostScript that prevent it from being used by ImageMagick safely, this update includes a default policy change that disables support for the Postscript and PDF formats in ImageMagick. This policy can be overridden if necessary by using an alternate ImageMagick policy configuration.
It was discovered that several memory leaks existed when handling certain images in ImageMagick. An attacker could use this to cause a denial of service. (CVE-2018-14434, CVE-2018-14435, CVE-2018-14436, CVE-2018-14437, CVE-2018-16640, CVE-2018-16750)
It was discovered that ImageMagick did not properly initialize a variable before using it when processing MAT images. An attacker could use this to cause a denial of service or possibly execute arbitrary code. This issue only affected Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. (CVE-2018-14551)
It was discovered that an information disclosure vulnerability existed in ImageMagick when processing XBM images. An attacker could use this to expose sensitive information. (CVE-2018-16323)
It was discovered that an out-of-bounds write vulnerability existed in ImageMagick when handling certain images. An attacker could use this to cause a denial of service or possibly execute arbitrary code. (CVE-2018-16642)
It was discovered that ImageMagick did not properly check for errors in some situations. An attacker could use this to cause a denial of service. (CVE-2018-16643)
It was discovered that ImageMagick did not properly validate image meta data in some situations. An attacker could use this to cause a denial of service. (CVE-2018-16644)
It was discovered that ImageMagick did not prevent excessive memory allocation when handling certain image types. An attacker could use this to cause a denial of service. (CVE-2018-16645)
Sergej Schumilo and Cornelius Aschermann discovered that ImageMagick did not properly check for NULL in some situations when processing PNG images. An attacker could use this to cause a denial of service. (CVE-2018-16749)
USN-3681-1 fixed vulnerabilities in Imagemagick. Unfortunately, the fix for CVE-2017-13144 introduced a regression in ImageMagick in Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. This update reverts the fix for CVE-2017-13144 for those releases.
We apologize for the inconvenience.
CVEs contained in this USN include: CVE-2018-14434, CVE-2018-14435, CVE-2018-14436, CVE-2018-14437, CVE-2018-14551, CVE-2018-16323, CVE-2018-16640, CVE-2018-16642, CVE-2018-16643, CVE-2018-16644, CVE-2018-16645, CVE-2018-16749, CVE-2018-16750
Affected VMware Products and Versions
Severity is medium unless otherwise noted.
- Vulnerable Cloud Foundry components individually listed here.
- Pivotal Application Service includes vulnerable container rootfs in the following releases:
- 2.3.x versions prior to 2.3.2
- 2.2.x versions prior to 2.2.8
- 2.1.x versions prior to 2.1.16
- 2.0.x versions prior to 2.0.24
- PCF Isolation Segment includes vulnerable container rootfs in the following releases:
- 2.3.x versions prior to 2.3.2
- 2.2.x versions prior to 2.2.7
- 2.1.x versions prior to 2.1.14
Users of affected versions should apply the following mitigation:
- The Cloud Foundry security team recommends upgrading BOSH to the affected OSS components listed here if applicable.
- Upgrade Pivotal products that use earlier versions of CF components to new Pivotal releases using new versions linked above. On the Pivotal Network product page for each release, check the Depends On section and/or Release Notes for this information.
- Releases that have fixed this issue include:
- Pivotal Application Service: 2.3.2, 2.2.8, 2.1.16, 2.0.24
- PCF Isolation Segment: 2.3.2, 2.2.7, 2.1.14