USN-2836-1 grub2 vulnerability
- Ubuntu 14.04
Hector Marco and Ismael Ripoll discovered that GRUB incorrectly handled the backspace key when configured to use authentication. A local attacker could use this issue to bypass GRUB password protection.
The Cloud Foundry project released a BOSH stemcell version 3146.1 and 3156 that has the patched version of the Linux kernel.
Pivotal is releasing an updated version of Pivotal Cloud Foundry Suite which references this patched BOSH stemcell.
Severity is medium unless otherwise noted.
- All versions of Cloud Foundry BOSH stemcells prior to 3156 are vulnerable, besides patched versions of 3146.x.
- Pivotal Cloud Foundry Elastic Runtime pre-1.5.9 versions and 1.6.x versions prior to 1.6.9.
- Pivotal Ops Manager pre-1.5.11 versions and 1.6.x versions prior to 1.6.6.
- Pivotal Redis pre-1.4.15 versions and 1.5.x versions prior to 1.5.4.
- Pivotal GemFire SSC pre-18.104.22.168 versions and 1.1.x versions before 22.214.171.124.
- Pivotal RabbitMQ pre-1.5.2 versions.
- Pivotal Ops Metrics pre-1.4.9 versions, all 1.5.x versions, and all 1.6.x versions prior to 1.6.2.
Users of affected versions should apply the following mitigation:
- The Cloud Foundry project recommends that Cloud Foundry deployments run with BOSH stemcells 3156 or later versions, or patched 3146.x versions.
- Pivotal recommends that customers upgrade to the 1.5.10 or later 1.5.x versions or the 1.6.9 or later versions of Pivotal Cloud Foundry Elastic Runtime.
- 1.5.11 or later 1.5.x versions or the 1.6.6 or later versions of Pivotal Ops Manager.
- 126.96.36.199 or later versions of Pivotal GemFire SSC and 188.8.131.52 or later 1.1.0.x versions.
- 1.4.15 or later 1.4.x versions and 1.5.4 or later versions of Pivotal Redis.
- 1.5.2 or later versions of RabbitMQ.
- The 1.4.9 or later 1.4.x versions or the 1.6.2 or later versions of Pivotal Ops Metrics.
Hector Marco and Ismael Ripoll