CVE-2018-1273: RCE with Spring Data Commons
Spring by Pivotal
Spring Data Commons, versions prior to 1.13 to 1.13.10, 2.0 to 2.0.5, and older unsupported versions, contain a property binder vulnerability caused by improper neutralization of special elements. An unauthenticated remote malicious user (or attacker) can supply specially crafted request parameters against Spring Data REST backed HTTP resources or using Spring Data’s projection-based request payload binding hat can lead to a remote code execution attack.
Affected VMware Products and Versions
Severity is critical unless otherwise noted.
- Spring Data Commons 1.13 to 1.13.10 (Ingalls SR10)
- Spring Data REST 2.6 to 2.6.10 (Ingalls SR10)
- Spring Data Commons 2.0 to 2.0.5 (Kay SR5)
- Spring Data REST 3.0 to 3.0.5 (Kay SR5)
- Older unsupported versions are also affected
Users of affected versions should apply the following mitigation:
- 2.0.x users should upgrade to 2.0.6
- 1.13.x users should upgrade to 1.13.11
- Older versions should upgrade to a supported branch
Releases that have fixed this issue include:
- Spring Data REST 2.6.11 (Ingalls SR11)
- Spring Data REST 3.0.6 (Kay SR6)
There are no other mitigation steps necessary.
Note that the use of authentication and authorization for endpoints, both of which are provided by Spring Security, limits exposure to this vulnerability to authorized users.
This issue was identified and responsibly reported by Philippe Arteau, GoSecure Inc.
2018-04-10: Initial vulnerability report published
2018-04-17: Updated list of releases that fixed the issue